I am always on the run. Sometimes I have no idea how I am going to feed my face in the 20 minutes I have until I need to run out the door. I work late most days and after over an hour drive home sometimes nearly 2 hrs, I would rather sleep or just eat crackers instead of cook a meal. Alas, I said to myself at lunch the other day. I know you don’t want to cook anything darling but it is lunch and you need veggies not just carbs. SO I started looking through the cabinets and noticed we had Near East Couscous and grape/cherry tomatoes that were starting to wrinkle before completely going to rot. So here is what I made and plan to continue making as it was delicious.
Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil Couscous
1 1/4 cups water
Near East Flavor Packet (comes with couscous)
1 tbsp earth balance butter
5-10 grape/cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp crushed garlic in oil
2 tbsp dry basil
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil
- Start by placing water, butter, and flavor packet in sauce pan.
- Bring to boil stirring occasionally.
- In a separate sautee pan place olive oil, garlic, and salt.
- Cook until garlic browns slightly.
- When saucepan is boiling add dry couscous, cover, and remove from heat.
- Slice tomatoes into 4 pieces longwise making diamond-like tomato slices. Toss with basil and add to sautee pan.
- Sautee tomatoes until bright red and basil is browned appearing almost black.
- Remove sauce pan lid, fluff couscous and place into a bowl.
- Serve with tomatoes on top.
- Add a vegan parmesean for an extra kick. I use Galaxy brand. ENJOY!