Inspired by a recent post I read on “The Kind Life” blog regarding Alicia’s top 20 ingredients (http://thekindlife.com/blog/post/alicia-silverstone-20-vegan-essential-kitchen-ingredients) I decided to place my top 25 grocery/pantry needs:
- Earth Balance Products: Buttery Sticks or Tub Butters/Margarines and their new cheese puffs!
- Organic Soy Milk or Almond: Chocolate, Vanilla, or Plain (I rarely use unsweetened)
- Cashews (Raw)
- Daiya: The havarti blocks are a god send but all of them are great.
- Galaxy Foods Vegan Parmesan (It is the best parm substitute, Parma brand doesn’t taste anything like actual cheese)
- Tofutti Products: I love their sour cream, sliced american cheese, and cream cheese. They are a great go to brand even for ice creams.
- American Flatbread Company: Vegan Harvest Pizza
- Tofurky: Their sliced deli Meats, crumbles like chorizo for tacos, and their grill friendly brats are amazing! You will forget they are fake. The deli meats have a weird odor in the package but on a sandwich it goes away. The chorizo will stain so handle carefully but it tastes just like taco meat.
- Miso Mayo: Dill flavor.
- Veganaise: It tastes like a cross between mayo and deviled eggs.
- Canola and Olive Oils
- 365 Brand Vegan Chocolate Chips: Just like Tollhouses but no milk!
- Flaxseeds: I buy them in a bulk bag and place them in the freezer.
- Nutritional Yeast: You will learn this helps cheesify anything.
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Whole Foods Vegan Sugar
- Beans: black, lentil, navy, garbanzo, and canneloni
- Canned Pumpkin or Squash
- Whole Wheat Pasta
- Farro, Quinoa, or Couscous
- Rao’s Tomato Basil Sauce
- Herbs/Spices: Kosher Salt, Basil, Thyme, Garlic, and Sage Fresh
- Potatoes: All kinds from sweet to purple to russet.
- Kale or Greens
- Canned and Fresh Tomatoes
I shop at my local grocery store for most items but the hard to find things like Daiya and Nutritional Yeast I go to two places: Whole Foods or VeganEssentials.com. Vegan Essentials delivers but requires you to cold ship perishables so check their shipping schedule (right now it is Tuesdays) and the extra cost for the cold packs!
Happy Shopping and Happier Munching!