When I first met my husband I lived in San Diego, California. I ate in for most of my meals and he ate out for most of his. I learned that he was beyond obsessed with burritos. I liked burritos well enough but the tortilla was always a little to filling for me. I prefered rise dishes or the filling over a salad. One day he made me this filling of beans and fish and salsa in the oven and put it over a salad for me and I was forever in love with it. I now place it in burritos or over rice all the time but instead of fish I use vegan chicken and he still uses fish. He prefers it over rice and in a burrito. So I will show you both and I will show you the quick way without boiling rice or making pineapple salsa from scratch 🙂 Don’t forget that anything can be subbed for the chicken portion. You can place in veggies, roasted peppers, portobello mushrooms, etc.
Gotta love a quick Meatless Mondays dish for the whole family with easy clean up!
Tropical Mexican Rice Dish
- 1 package Spanish Uncle Ben’s 90 second rice
- 4-8 Flour Burrito Tortillas (I like the Fiber One 80 calorie ones)
- 1 jar Newman’s Own Organics Pineapple Salsa
- 1 can Fat Free Refried Beans (I use Old El Paso)
- 1 container of Beyond Meat Chickenless Strips Lightly Seasoned
- Optional Toppings: Onions, Hot Sauce, lemon, lime, garlic powder, salad, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425degrees.
- On a long piece of aluminum foil smear 1/4 to 1/2 cup of refried beans in a circle in the center.
- Place chicken (or veggies or fish if you aren’t vegan) on top.
- Cover with salsa and any optional items. I cover with the onions and hot sauce first and then the salsa.
- Bring sides of tinfoil together and roll downward. Fold other sides into center.
- Place directly on oven rack. Bake for 25-30minutes (longer for fish less for chicken).
- Remove from oven.
- Place 90 second rice in microwave.
- Place 1/4cup – 1/2cup of rice in each burrito and top with oven baked filling.
(WW Points for filling without rice is 5 points, Rice is another 5 points for 1 cup, Fiber One Tortillas are 2pts each)
The Hippie Gypsy