When I was a little kid my mom would always make a dish we endearingly called “Mush”. It was ground hamburger with green beans and milky tomato soup poured over mashed potatoes. It was one of my favorite meals. It doesn’t sound great but honestly it is borderline amazing. The soup gets thick and creamy and gives the mixture a gravy/meaty tomato sauce/chili like texture. But once it is poured over mashed potatoes… heaven. I can’t explain it but to say it is simple and wonderful and now that Beyond Meat makes meaty crumbles that actually taste like ground meat. I can make it again!
My Mom’s Recipe for Mush (Veganized)
- 1-2 bags of Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Seasoned salt
- 1 can of green beans (drained)
- 1 can Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- 1 canful of Soy Milk (poured into the soup can)
- Mashed Potatoes ( I used the dehydrated kind for this recipe with earth balance and soy milk)
- In a large skillet heat oil and crumbles until warm and cooked through about 10 minutes (see bag label).
- Once cooked add soup and then one soup can worth of soy milk.
- Use a few sprinkles of seasoned salt to season to taste.
- Add green beans last.
- Cook until the soup has cooked down to a thicker consistency like chili.
- Serve hot over mashed potatoes with a dab of earth balance butter.
Tip(s): If you add too much soup or milk and don’t have enough meat to thicken the sauce, add bulger wheat to absorb some of the liquid. It adds a meaty chew and will not talk away from flavor. it only needs about 15 minutes to soften also!
Food is Love.
The Hippie Gypsy.