There are very few things that can make me feel as cozy as banana bread. My mom would make it all the time when I was a kid (and would even bring it to my dorm in college sometimes). Saving up all the brown bananas we didn’t eat in time and putting them in the freezer. When she had enough she would make the whole house smell like heaven and it was hard to keep us back long enough for the banana bread to cool so she could cut a slice for my brother and I. My grandmother would cozy up next to me with some tea and her banana bread and on those chilly fall days we would watch infomercials and old movies at my parents house. So when I got a tweet on Twitter the other day from a follower that wanted to use up some Chia seeds I thought what better way than to give out my banana bread bars recipe! The recipe is easy and just requires dumping everything in a bowl and mixing and then placing it in the oven. The weather was cool over the weekend so I made a batch as a breakfast snack for my husband and I this week. They were also snacked on by both my parents yesterday while we continued mounting new things to the walls of my new house. Note: I bribe family and friends with dinner and snacks for free labor 🙂
Banana Bread Bars
(3) Bananas (overripe and brown is best)
1 1/2 cup Quick Oats
1 tsp tapioca granulated
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup of Raw Agave Syrup/Nectar
1/4 cup raw unsalted pistachios
1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup white chocolate chips (I use Lieber’s White Decorative Chips)
Spectrum Coconut Oil Spray for pan
- Place white chips, nuts, seeds, coconut, and tapicoa in a medium mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Add quick oats. Stir until combined.
- Add bananas (i ususally microwave frozen bananas for 1 minute and then add them). Mix until thick adn well combined throughout.
- Add agave and fold in.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a bread pan with coconut oil.
- Place bar mixture into bread pan and pat flat with spatula.
- Bake for 30-40minutes until the sides turn brown and the center is firm tot he touch.
- Cut into 6 bars and serve after cooled about 15-30minutes.
WW Points: 8pts per bar.
The Hippie Gypsy