When I wasn’t vegan and I was applying to law school I worked at a law firm in Quincy, MA near a Panera Bread. My favorite lunch was always a bowl of their signature Broccoli Cheese Soup and a toasted Asiago bagel and an apple. The soup was so decadent and the sharp Asiago smothering the bagel made me just fall into a million pieces. I would’ve eaten this over a filet mignon or fancy lobster dinner (mostly because I never liked either but also because it was that good in my mind). So when I was beginning my ideas for this next week of blogging on soups, stews, and chowders I thought that I really must start off with Broccoli Cheese Soup. I have eaten the broccoli cheese soup in Chef Chloe’s cookbook and it is very good and very healthy but I wanted to make a truly decadent creamy creation that reminded me of that soup near the law firm. So with that I present my version.
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
6 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp vegetable bouillon paste (I use Penzey’s)
1 1/3 cup Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
(1) White Onion
(2) Heads of Broccoli
(6) Small or Baby Carrots
1 qt of Soy Creamer
1/2 cup soy milk
1 cup of water
1/4 cup Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme Sour Cream
Prepare the Base:
- Put (2) tablespoons of oil in a pan with salt and (1) onion chopped into rings.
- Sweat the onion on medium heat until very soft and light golden brown. They will naturally start to separate as they heat up, so continue stirring.
- Take 1/2 of the onions out and place in an extra large sauce pan. Add broccoli and 1 tbsp oil and place on medium heat,
- Toss oil, onions, and broccoli and sprinkle with salt. Leave on medium heat.
- Take remaining onions in the frying pan and add 3 tablespoons oil and flour. Stir until it forms a paste.
Cooking down the soup:
- Pour creamer into large sauce pot with broccoli and onion mixture.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add all remaining ingredients and oil/onion paste except for carrots.
- Stir until broccoli is soft and well combined. The sauce should be thick now and form a film on top if not constantly stirred.
- Take an immersion blender and place in pot allowing the blender to chop and puree the broccoli. You can reserve a few small pieces if you want it a little chunkier.
- Then shred the carrots with a peeler or making matchsticks with a sharp knife and add a few minutes before serving. These should be cooked but slightly crisp.
- Serve hot and Enjoy!
Serves (7). 1 cup servings. WW Points 11.
The Hippie Gypsy